Pretzel Crusted Mahi Mahi


I got a bag of frozen Mahi Mahi filets from Costco and I was looking for a tasty way to make them besides fish tacos. The Husband and I aren't into fish all that much, I personally need it to either have a topping or sauce or something to add flavor and I always choose the mild tasting fish, for instance we love walleye, perch, salmon, etc. Fried is always good too but I don't deep fry in my kitchen hardly ever. Anyway - I have also a ton of mini pretzel packages since we got a box of those from Costco also (and basically only the mustard flavored ones are getting eaten!) so I thought I should try a pretzel crust for the fish. I've heard of a cracker crust and I think I've seen a pretzel crust somewhere, so I googled for a recipe to follow. I know Mahi Mahi isn't usually crusted with things, and thus I didn't find a recipe for it, but I decided to follow a pretzel crust recipe for some other fish and just give it a whirl with what we have.

I thawed the mahi mahi, seasoned with cajun seasoning and Old Bay seasoning (which we found out we loved when we were in Baltimore!) and then coated them in some pulverized pretzels - I used 3 packages for 4 pieces of fish. I put some foil and cooking spray on a baking sheet and placed the fish on there and let them go. They took about 15-20 minutes and went great with some green beans and garlic and herb couscous with some olives thrown in. Very tasty, and even your family members who don't love fish all that much should like these, we both did and The Husband said to definitely make them again.

Pretzel Crusted Mahi Mahi

4 portions of mahi mahi filets (such as the ones from the frozen bag at Costco which can be thawed in 15-20minutes)
3 mini bags of pretzels or about 1.5 cups of pretzels
Old Bay seasoning or your favorite seasoned salt
Cajun Seasoning
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400. Pulverize the pretzels in your mini food processor or give them a good whack in a plastic bag until they are broken up pretty well. Season the thawed mahi mahi filets with your favorite seasonings, such as old bay and cajun seasoning (herbs and salt and pepper would do just fine also).

Put the pretzels on a plate, season with more spices and salt and pepper if you're interested, and press both sides of the mahi mahi filets into the pretzels and place on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. I sprayed the tops of my fish with more Pam to help with baking and I also put more Old Bay seasoning on top of the filets. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until done. The package said 10-12 minutes but mine took longer, so keep an eye on yours. Enjoy this healthy dinner.. each filet (without pretzel topping) is only 95 calories, so that's some healthy protein for you!

Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures