Make Ahead Treats for Deer Camp

Well, it's well into the fall season here in Michigan and I have finally broken the long streak of no baking at our house (really have been good over here!) to do a few things this week. I made several things for The Husband to take up to opening day of Deer Camp - a few new recipes which I think turned out great: World's Best Lasagna from AllRecipes.comDutch Apple Pie With Oatmeal Streusel from AllRecipes.com, Martha Stewart's Muffaletta, and Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos.


For the pie, I tried a new-to-me recipe for Fool Proof Pie Crust and since I only made one pie, I really wonder how it all turned out! I couldn't exactly cut a sliver to test it out before sending it along, haha. If the crust is good, I will use it for a cherry berry pie I plan to make for Thanksgiving.


Most of these things went directly up north with The Husband so I either didn't get a photo or just have a fuzzy snapshot from my phone. For the lasagna, I had a few scraps of the components leftover so I made a tiny one that The Husband and I tried (before popping the main one in the freezer), and it was good! Also for the muffaletta, I made a small one using a sourdough bread bowl (the large one used a large French Boule), so that The Husband and I could share one for lunch before he headed up north. (So the picture of the cut muffaletta is actually the small one!) It was so delicious, I used hot sopressetta, capicola, hard salami, and black forest ham, along with provolone, arugula, and the muffaletta olive spread from Costco (which is utterly delicious by the way!). This is a wonderful make-ahead sandwich for a party or picnic - no mayo so it can sit out, and it is best if it sits in the fridge overnight. Cut into large (or small) wedges before serving. Yum yum yummy yum, and simple!




For the make-ahead breakfast burritos (I didn't realize you could do this with eggs and that they'd taste good after being frozen and reheated!), I just cooked up 1 lb of breakfast sausage, blotted the grease, and then added onions and bell peppers, and then after those were soft, added 10 eggs and scrambled those. Then I warmed 10 burrito sized flour tortillas and rolled up a scoop of filling with shredded cheese in each one, and wrapped with foil. The 10 breakfast burritos  I had a little bit of filling leftover so I made two small fajita sized ones that The Husband and I froze and tried the next morning. With the oven at 350 it really took about 30 minutes for the small ones to heat up, so I would recommend either popping them in well before you need them, or microwaving for a few minutes (Deer Camp doesn't have a microwave so we were testing the oven method). Before eating, top with some salsa! I didn't get a picture but the ziploc bag of 10 foil wrapped burritos is easy to imagine and lots of people have blogged about this using all sorts of add ins like potatoes and rice! Yum! What a nice grab-and-go alternative to all those quick breakfasts that are all sugar and no protein. We will be making these again for sure.






Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures