Asian Flank Steak and Egg Foo Yung



This is another low-carb meal that at least offers your taste buds something similar to Chinese food without all the extra sugar and deep-fried business that goes on in those restaurants. I didn't write down the recipes nor have them with me, but I did take pictures and I'd like to post them even with some open-ended recipes. Maybe I'll update the recipe later... haha.





Asian Flank Steak
Enough for dinner for 2 or 3, depending on sides.

~2 lbs Flank Steak (I think it is worth it to buy it from a good quality meat market)

Basic Asian Marinade:
~1/3 cup soy sauce or more if needed to cover steak
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 pkts of sugar or splenda (or could use honey)
1 inch fresh chopped ginger (can use dried ginger in a pinch)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
3-4 sliced green onions

ground pepper to taste

Garnish: additional chopped green onions

Combine marinade ingredients in a zip-loc bag and throw in flank steak(s). Mash around to make sure the steak is full covered with seasonings, and set in your fridge for several hours or overnight. Feel free to adjust amounts (I never measure for this). Also, if you remember, flip the steak half way through the marinating process so both sides equally soak up the tasty marinade.

On a grill pan heated to high, place the flank steak. This cut of steak is very thin so a high intensity heat for 5-8 minutes on each side should suffice. You can also do this on a grill. I like to use my meat thermometer to make sure I'm getting the doneness I want: medium rare. Let the flank steak rest on a cutting board for a few minutes before slicing against the grain, into small slices before serving. Top with sliced green onions for garnish and flavor.



Chicken or Shrimp (or anything) Egg Foo Yung

I ended up using a mixture of recipes, but I think the original recipe that I once used before is the best one. It is from FoodNetwork's George Stella's "Shrimp Egg Foo Young." This time around, I skipped the shrimp and used cooked chicken. Original recipe can be seen here. The second recipe that I was trying out was from AllRecipes.com and can be viewed here.

4 tablespoons canola oil (I used vegetable)
1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 cups shredded cabbage (I bought the pre-shredded red cabbage)
6 eggs
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup sliced bamboo shoots

1/2 cup cooked small salad shrimp, or large dice medium cooked shrimp (I used chicken, beef or pork would be good, too. When I used shrimp originally, it was great.)
2 tablespoons green onion tops, sliced, for garnish

* I also used sliced mushrooms, a handful of bean sprouts (which I think is mandatory), a splash of sesame oil, some celery, and some powdered ginger that I would not do again since I like to shoot for how it tastes at the restaurant.

First, I sauteed all the cabbage and onion and veggies a little to pre-cook them, and then drained them. I had way too many veggies for the amount I needed (the AllRecipes recipe servers way more than 2 people).


Whisk the eggs in a bowl and mix in soy sauce, spices, drained cabbage/veggie mixture, and bamboo shoots.

Using a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and heat. Ladle about 4 ounces of the cabbage mixture into the hot pan, as you would for pancakes, and sprinkle the small shrimp (or chicken) evenly on top of each. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until edges start to brown and when jiggled, it slides in the pan. Flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until cooked through. Garnish with scallions.

Cook's Note: If Egg Foo Young becomes brown too quickly, finish it by baking in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for a few minutes. (I didn't have this problem but that is a good tip)

Hope you enjoy!


There are many recipes for a sauce for Egg Foo Yung, and I prefer the starchy peanut/soy sauce mixture but tend to make this dish when I'm avoiding starch, and thus sauce. I haven't tried the Egg Foo Yung sauce that combines 2 cubes chicken bouillion, 1 1/2 cups hot water, 1 1/2 tsp sugar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, all heated together, then 6 tbsp cold water + 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch added to thicken it up. I read decent reviews of that sauce and saw it several places (including the Allrecipes note above) so maybe I'll try it someday. I still like peanut sauce though!

Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures