Strawberry-Kiwi Salad with Basil


Well it's time again to participate in the Weekend Cookbook Challenge from "i like to cook." This food blog challenge has an excellent purpose - to get you to use those old cookbooks that are taking up space, which you never use! This is my second time participating and the theme this month was Salads. Here is the . WCC round-up for June by Mel's Diner. I first thought of a typical lettuce salad, and there are tons of options with that. I had a hankering for a pear, sugary pecan and goat cheese salad but I didn't have a great recipe in any of my books that I liked. So, I just searched for all salads. This is a really wide spectrum!

I have one cookbook from 1995, some kind of Christmas collection - and they even had jello molds as a "salad." I was tempted, just for the ridiculous-ness of it .. but maybe I'll have to find a Retro-Cookbook food blog challenge or start one myself. Have you ever visited the hillarious website that seriously analyzes some of the disturbing food photos on 1974 WeightWatchers recipe cards? This is a must-read!

Many of my cookbooks are boxed up (I need to install a shelf!) but I thumbed through several -
and finally found my recipe for this challenge in the Cooking Light book. The idea of using some fresh fruit, which is wonderfully in season now, and putting a savory twist on it - with balsamic and basil - really sounded interesting. I decided to go with it because it's nothing I've ever had nor would have thought to try on my own.


I am so happy I tried it - it's totally delicious, refreshing, slightly tangy, slightly creamy, and most of all - fresh! From the first juicy bite all the way down to the last spoonful of dressing. I'd definitely serve this in cute little cups on the side for a summer dinner party, or in a big bowl at a BBQ. I will be making this again, for SURE. ..And will be looking for more uses for this white balsamic vinegar that I now have. :)


Strawberry-Kiwi Salad with Basil

From Cooking Light "best of" cookbook

1/4 cup half-and-half
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 peeled kiwifruit, each cut into 6 wedges
2 cups quartered strawberries (about a pint's worth)
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil



Combine 1st 4 ingredients in your bowl. Add in the kiwis and strawberries and toss well. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Stir in basil just before serving.


This made 4 servings (1 serving = 3/4 cups). Also, each serving is only like 90 calories. YUM.
If you're looking for something different and are feeling kinda fruity, try this recipe!


Comments

  1. Wow! Now that's a good looking salad. I'm sure it tasted as good as it looked. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How yummy & simple is that. Must go buy kiwis & strawberries now! :D


    Stop by for a few bites of My Big Fat Greek Salad: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-big-fat-greek-salad_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking salad! And so perfect for a hot summer day (which we are having here).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying this tomorrow. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures