Corn, Tomato and Basil Pasta Salad



I served this as a side dish for my lovely ladies who came to a rainy patio lunch. This is a fresh-tasting light pasta salad with really good flavors. It's not your typical "italian dressing" kind you'd find at any given picnic or family gathering. I really liked it. The only things I did different was that I didn't buy enough leeks so I added some regular onion and I used crumbled goat cheese because I didn't know what the heck Ricotta Salata cheese is. I also added more olive oil, salt and pepper, and lemon juice to taste, which really made a big difference. I especially loved the red pepper (I used ground instead of flakes) with the corn - it really added just a little zing, yum!!



Corn, Tomato, Basil Pasta
As found on MarthaStewart.com

Serves 6 to 8

1 pound medium shell pasta
Coarse salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 small leeks, white and light green parts, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise, and well washed (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 1/2 cups corn kernels (4 to 5 ears) (I used frozen corn.. the whole bag)
Freshly ground pepper (use lots)
1 large pinch red-pepper flakes
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (or grape tomatoes) (I used strawberry tomatoes)
1/2 cup torn basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 ounces ricotta salata cheese, crumbled or shaved (I used goat cheese which was DELISH)

Directions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and a generous amount of salt. Cook until al dente according to package instructions. Drain, and run under cold water to cool. Drain well; set aside.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook until translucent, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add corn. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook until color is set, and the corn is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove from heat; let stand until cool.

In a large bowl, combine pasta, corn mixture, tomatoes, basil, parsley, lemon juice, and cheese. Toss to combine. Taste, and adjust for seasoning (extra lemon juice, salt, and pepper).

Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures