Pomegranate Lime Ginger Iced Tea

I am generally not big on tea, and I never had iced tea growing up as a kid so I don't typically think of making it... however, at a recent little gathering with some very lovely ladies, I thought iced tea would do the trick! I know of the "Arnold Palmer" which is half iced tea and half lemonade and I wondered if there were some other interesting combinations to try. (I need sweet tea!) Well... there are! I came across a Pomegranate Lime Iced Tea recipe from Real Simple and also saw somewhere else about adding gingerale to a juice-infused iced tea, so I decided to combine the two ideas. Well, also, I just thought the Pom-Lime Tea tasted better with a little ginger! (It was good on its own too, if you try that.)

So here is the modified recipe, and I think you will find it quite refreshing, and a pretty pink color! This is the only picture I took, I think it looked better in person.



Pom-Lime-Ginger Iced Tea
modified version of a recipe from Real Simple

8 cups boiling water
8 tea bags
2 cups pomegranate juice (i.e. unsweetented, 100% juice, like POM variety - 1 btl = 2 cups)
3 limes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar (I used splenda packets, enough to make it sweet enough for me!)

a sprinkle of ground ginger (I bet this is optional, but I did do this during my taste trials)

a large splash of (diet) vernors (the top quarter of your cup is a good start)

Pour the water into a heat-resistant pitcher. Add the tea bags and let steep for 10 minutes. Remove and discard the bags and allow the tea to cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Add the pomegranate juice, limes, ginger, and sugar and chill in the fridge overnight so you get a good lime flavor. If you want to serve right away, add more lime juice until you like the flavor. Right before serving over ice, add the vernors and stir.



Yield: Makes 8 servings



This was also easy to make for a one-serving helping, if you're curious and want to try it out first.



Pom-Lime-Ginger Iced Tea - one serving


Add 1 tea bag to 8 oz of boiling water and let steep to desired strength. When room temperature, add 2 oz Pom juice, a few packets of splenda (or sugar to taste), and cut up 1/3 of a lime in thin slices, and add a sprinkle of powdered ginger. Chill in the fridge overnight, and before serving, add a splash of Vernors (to equal about 25% of your tea mixture). Enjoy!

Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures