Crock Pot Magic: Pork Burritos


This is a recipe from the little Taste of Home "Slow Cooker" recipe booklet that I impulsively bought while standing at a grocery store checkout. That little booklet has resulted in several tasty dishes for us this year so it was a good impulse buy. This is the best mexican pulled pork recipe that I've tried in my slowcooker and I'd make it again in a heartbeat. It made perfect soft tacos! The "sauce" that you pour over the pork is incredibly tasty, you can taste it after you blend and you know you're in for a delicious supper in several hours.


It also allowed me to use my submersible blender which made the "sauce" preparation and storage a snap!


Pork Burritos
From the Taste of Home Slow Cooker Recipes booklet


1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 to 4 lbs)..(I used 2 lbs and it was enough food for at least 12 tacos!)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon salt
10 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed

Toppings for burritos as desired (avocado, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, salsa, rice, beans, etc)

For the "Sauce," this was easy to make the night before and store in the fridge overnight so I could pull it out with the pork in the morning to start the slowcooker before I left for work.

In a blender (or in the plastic container with snappable lid that came with your submersible blender), combine the tomatoes, chili powder, garlic, lime juice, honey, jalapeno, and salt. Blend and process until smooth. Either cover and store in fridge overnight or pour over pork which has been already placed in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until meat is tender.

I am typically gone for 10-12 hours and this recipe held up well and was extremely tender and had no problems with the extra time.

I removed the pork from the juice and placed in a serving bowl and used two forks to shred the pork. Your delicious pulled pork is ready to be served on a tortilla with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!

The burritos were so tasty that I did not take a picture when I had a burrito all dressed up, so you're stuck with just the picture of the pulled pork from the serving platter. Juicy, zingy, and delicious.

Comments

  1. Yum!!! Tried this yesterday and brought the leftovers to work. A hit all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good! I used less chili powder and added cumin and a little oregano. Thank you for posting this recipe! My whole family loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this recipe and lost it!! I have been searching for it going on 2 days!! So glad someone else enjoyed the recipe as much as I have! Thank you for reposting this without it, I wouldnt have found it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you need to add any water to the crock pot? or is it just the meat and sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the meat and sauce - the pork renders a lot of juices itself so it will be plenty moist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures