Betty's Triple Berry Tart


I've recently been making several recipes out of my Betty Crocker cookbook. (Mostly because I need more cookbooks in my house!) This is a darn good little general cookbook. Everything has turned out pretty tasty. This is no exception, it is an awesome dessert and it was very simple. Store bought pie crust makes a solid and tasty bottom to hold a juicy mixture of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. A streusel topping (Ok, I lied... I upgraded the Betty topping to Martha Stewart's one for her blueberry buckle) adds a little spice and buttery crunch.



I made this little dessert as a peace offering for The Husband for our barbecue for The Germans. Andrea and Jan had friends visiting from Germany and we were happy to do an All-American barbecue (smoked pulled pork with the works) and The Husband had been pestering me to do an apple pie. Apple pie just sounded SO boring. I wanted to do key lime bars from my new cookie book (Thanks Mom!), and then a chocolatey bar also sounded good. Eventually I decided to make Chippy Gooey Butter Cake with chocolate chip (to die for... literally.. they may kill you), and The Husband was totally against that. So, to compromise, I decided on this Triple Berry Tart since Achatz Pie Company's "Michigan Four Berry Pie" is one of his favorites, a close second to Apple Pie. I think this is an excellent "do-it-yourself" recipe to compete with the Michigan Four Berry Pie, and I've since made this little tart two more times -- it's now a family favorite!
Without further ado, here is the recipe!




Triple Berry Crumble Tartadapted from Betty Crocker with a dash of Martha Stewart
1 store-bought pie crust of your choice (I think pillsbury is just fine and you have an extra crust for a pot pie or some other use later)
1 1/2 c sliced fresh strawberries
1 1/2 c fresh blueberries
1 c fresh raspberries
2/3 c sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch

Streusel topping (from Martha Stewart's blueberry buckle)
6 Tbsp room temp butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
optional: 1 tsp grated orange peel (I loved this addition but leave it out because The Husband didn't like it)
Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Fold pie crust into 10 or 11 inch tart pan (bonus if you have one with a false bottom like me!), press into bottom and side. Trim overhanging edge to be even with the top of the pan.

In a large bowl gently combine berries, sugar and cornstarch. Spoon into pastry.

Make streusel topping: Combine streusel ingredients and mix with hands until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of berries in pastry.
Bake 35-45 minutes or until fruit bubbles in the center. Let cool before releasing from your pan (if you have a false bottom tart pan like me), but serve warm with a little ice cream for some delicious berry goodness!

Comments

  1. This looks wonderful! Crumb topped fruit is a favorite of mine. Though the deadly Gooey Butter Cake sounds pretty good as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures