White Chicken Chili



I host a chili cookoff where I work and I've only ever had one little taste of a white chili / chicken chili. It was good and since then I've been wanting to try a recipe!

Good ole Betty Crocker has a recipe and here is the modified version that I used. It was super tasty, it thickened up nicely, and The Husband really enjoyed it served in a bread bowl (he's been loving those lately.) I think it would equally be good with tortilla strips on top or served with chips! This is a perfect fall meal, and it comes together quickly which is good for a weeknight.


White Chili
Adapted from Betty Crocker

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
3 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons cilantro plus more for garnish
a splash of lime concentrate or 1-2 tablespoons fresh
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspon oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cans white beans, such as canneloni
1 can of corn kernels
1 packet of McCormick white/chicken chili seasoning mix (so Betty didn't use this but this really made it taste a lot better, otherwise I would've added more salt and cumin, etc)

1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into bitesize pieces (I seasoned mine with salt, garlic and coriander)

Monterrey Jack cheese for garnish (this makes it super good)

Onions, cilantro, sour cream, bread bowl, tortillas, hot sauce, etc for garnish... it's all good

Saute the onions and garlic until soft, add all other ingredients except the chicken. This is a good time to cook the chicken if you haven't done so, yet, in a separate pan. Bring to a boil and simmer. I used my submersion blender to blend up some of the beans to thicken this soup a bit, before putting in the chicken. Add chicken and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Pour into bowls and garnish with cheese and other toppings. This chili thickens upon standing. It's so delish!

Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures