Cookies For A Cause: Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies


Mmmm, moist carrot cake with a sweet cream cheese frosting. Maybe not the most common dessert, but carrot cake is one of the classics and it is delicious. For my latest charity cookie event, I decided to continue on with Martha Stewarts "Cookies" cookbook and chose these Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies. These are delicious! And the recipe truly does make a lot of cookies. Martha says 36 and maybe if you make them a little smaller (Watch out, the batter spreads - really keep it to a tablespoon per cookie!) but I probably ended up with 50 for a double batch. Some of those didn't make it because I didn't bake them long enough and they were too tender... these plus the ones at the end of the baking which missed out on the frosting went to work "naked" and these scraps were also gobbled up.

The cookies are cakey and tender, just like the category in the cookbook that they are listed under advertises. They have a wonderful spice to them - the cinnamon, ginger, and freshly grated nutmeg were perfect with the sweet raisins, oatmeal, and grated carrot. I hadn't grated carrot before but it wasn't so bad once I realized the fastest way was to throw small chunks into my mini cuisinart chopper - easy peasy!



Once the cakey carrot circles were baked golden brown and then cooled completely, I sandwiched them with a cream cheese buttercream frosting and chilled them overnight. I had about 36 cookies to bring into work and we made over $28 for Alzheimer's Association. That makes a total of over $150 collected for charities with my Cookies for a Cause adventure. So far, so good!



Like I've been telling my coworkers, I'll keep baking if they keep donating! I can't wait to see how far we'll have gotten by the end of the year. Maybe this will inspire some one else to do the same thing, too! Thanks for looking.

Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
Here is the recipe on Martha Stewart's website. Enjoy!

Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures