Cookies for a Cause: Brown Butter Toffee Blondies


We're back with another edition of my one-woman charity bake sale! The recipe I brought in for my coworkers this week was Martha Stewart's Brown Butter Toffee Blondies from her "Cookie" recipe book. Holy moly, these are delicious and rich and well worth trying. I am a huge fan of brown butter and it works perfectly in this blondie recipe. The result was a moist and chewy bar and while some of my coworkers may have scoffed at the "brown butter" (which they had never heard of), it only took one bite to be totally hooked. This is a fabulous recipe!

I am pleased to report that I collected another large amount for my double batch of these cookies - $30.50. The charity I chose was one that is improtant to me as well as one of my coworkers, the United Mitochondrial Diesease Foundation, which is a wonderful cause. My donation was just to make the cookies and 100% of the money I collected from my coworkers went directly to this charity!

So if you are looking for a rich and decadent bar cookie that is relatively easy but not "run-of-the-mill", definitely give this recipe a try. You won't be disappointed!!

Brown Butter Toffee Blondies
From martha stewart's website and her book "Cookies"

Ingredients


Makes about 1 dozen

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (about 4 ounces)
1 cup toffee bits

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter and flour parchment paper.

In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter until it turns golden brown; remove from heat, and let cool. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine browned butter and both sugars; stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Attach bowl to mixer; add eggs. Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, and beat to combine. Add flour mixture, walnuts, and toffee bits. Mix until thoroughly combined, and pour into prepared pan.

Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes (do not overbake). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before turning out of pan onto a cutting board. Peel off parchment paper; cut blondies into 3-inch squares. Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days

Comments

  1. OK ... i was looking at your Pho post but simply could not pass up this one! This is on my bake this weekend list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some very lucky coworkers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures