Ammoghio Sauce (Sicilian Salsa) from Nino's

I know I haven't been posting on here for a few weeks, but that doesn't mean I haven't been cooking, baking and collecting recipes for you all. Just a little break to refresh my motivation for 2010 and now it's back to work on Kitchen Bliss!

A few weeks ago, The Husband needed an appetizer to bring over to a guy's night. So it had to be simple and not require any cooking onsite. I thought of a recent purchase at Nino Salvaggio's (local specialty italian market) - Ammoghio sauce. The container said it could be served as a bruschetta topping or like a salsa cold, or warm for dipping bread or as a pasta sauce, I think. We dipped bread into it and it was SO good. I know Nino's has recipes on their websites and lo and behold, Ammoghio sauce was one of the published recipes.

So, for the appetizers, I thought I'd make some herbed crispy crostinis - bias sliced french baguettes that that had olive oil drizzled on them plus salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian herbs sprinkled on top - baked until crispy. Then I'd make the ammoghio sauce and The Husband could take a nice platter of crispy breads and sauce to nosh on while they eat their buffalo wild wings and other boy stuff.

The ammoghio sauce was pretty good, I didn't use all the parsley it called for because it just sounds like way too much and I don't remember parsley being such a huge flavor in the one I bought from the store... I am not sure if this tasted exactly like the store-bought one, I'm guessing it is a different recipe, BUT it was still good. There was a little leftover which didn't last long in our house. So if you want a red dipping sauce or a bruschetta topper that is fast and easy, try this and it is open for tweaking! Yum!

Ammoghio (Sicilian Salsa)

 From Nino Salvaggio's online recipe collection

INGREDIENTS:
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 oz. chopped curly fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. minced fresh marjoram
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 oz. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste (start with a pinch)

DIRECTIONS: Combine all ingredients and toss. Refrigerate if desired, serve at room temperature.

SERVING INFO: Ammoghio can be used as a topping for breaded steak, pork chops, sandwiches, tortilla chips, etc. It makes a wonderful topping on Italian style bread

GREAT WITH: Drain salsa in a colander and this sauce can be used as a bruschetta topping on crusty Italian or French bread.. After draining, spread on bread.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures