Ice Cream Pie - One of my New Favorites

You can't beat a super simple dessert that doesn't really require any baking but it's decadent and everyone will love it! I never thought to make my own ice cream cake (or pie) until some of our good friends brought over dessert a few months ago. They had stopped at TCBY and it was this chocolate decadance ice cream cake(pie?). I keep calling it a cake but there's no actual cake in it, so.. I guess it's a pie. I thought to myself - boy, this is delicious... AND... I could easily just make one of these myself but use my own flavors and toppings. Yum!

So, I waited a while for the right occasion to try this out - finally I had offered to bring over dessert to The Husband's parents house... I can't remember the occasion. End of summer, I think. Anyway, I found a recipe for a homemade chocolate cookie crust - 2 cups chocolate graham crackers, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1/3 cup sugar. For my 10 inch round cake pan that is 3 inches tall, I needed at least 1.5 batches of this crust, if not two. I wanted tall sides to my crust to hold all the ice cream in. Plan on using 2 of the 3 packages of graham crackers out of the graham cracker box.

Pat the crust into a springform pan and press against the sides, also. Bake at a 400 degree oven for 5-10 minutes and let cool.

Meanwhile, you could make your own ice cream if you have the time/equipment, but otherwise, take your ice cream out of the freezer and start to let it melt. I ended up microwaving mine for a few seconds here and there. Get out your other cake fillings also - anything goes here - chopped up cookies, snickers bars, nuts, candy, chocolate chips, fudge, caramel,... you name it!

Spread the soft ice cream into the cooled crust. I ended up making this cake a 2nd time, for the "adult" dessert at my son's 1st birthday party. The first time I made the cake, I used 2 flavors of ice cream and in between the two layers, I had oreo cookies and Sanders hot fudge spread around. The second time I made the cake, I used one gallon of ice cream but forgot to make a middle layer so I just dug some oreo cookies down in it and put the rest on top, topped with more Sanders hot fudge. I personally would like snickers bar chunks in here but I was avoiding nuts for some of my guests. Peanut butter cups and such would be great in here also, however, The Husband is really weird in that he hates peanut butter!

Anyway, the idea here is - fill up your crust with any ice cream flavor, topping, and filling that you can think of. I then used cool whip and took out a large star tip decorators tip and piped on a nice border of whipped cream. More oreos/chocolate chip cookie chunks/etc and hot fudge should definitely go on top for decoration. You could either be really casual and have a mish-mash on top, or you could spend some time making a really pretty design on top also.

After the crust is filled up (oh by the way, feel free to use whatever flavor crust you might like!), pop this puppy into the freezer. The first time I made this, I made it in the morning and took it over to another location and it had to go into the freezer there for a few hours also and it was still sorta soft by dinner time. The 2nd time I made it, I froze it overnight and it was as expected - rock solid - so that is ideal. You can let it soften for 10 minutes before cutting, but otherwise a sharp knife will do the trick. 

This is one of my favorite desserts and it takes no talent whatsoever. I used Hudsonville ice cream which is a Made-In-Michigan local product and it is absolutely fabulous along with the best-ever Sanders Milk Chocolate Hot Fudge, another Detroit specialty. Using high quality ingredients will set this over the top and your guests will love it. Enjoy!

Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures