Super Easy and Tender BBQ Ribs

I've used this basic recipe 3 times and I'm not going to try any other method, it has worked out perfect each time. It's totally adaptable to your taste, too -- it would be easy to make them "asian infusion" ribs or some other flavor, as well! The main idea is the cooking method, I think - I bet the rub can be changed around! Try this for tender ribs - it's so easy! Never worry about the threat of tough, chewy ribs again!


Baby Back Ribs (this also worked on spare ribs, as well!)
adapted from several recipes for ribs on AllRecipes.com plus our own preferences

For 2 racks of ribs (4-6 lbs total)
Rub
3/4 cup light brown sugar (i ran out and used some dark - no worries there!)
1 tsp smoked salt (I use liquid smoke plus some salt, because that's what I find)*
* If you have a charcoal grill, there are probably better ways to get smokiness - using soaked wood chips, etc. This is how we folks who bake in ovens and then grill for 5 minutes get smokiness artificially!
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper to sprinkle on first

For Grilling and Serving: 1-2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce (We are partial to Sweet Baby Ray's Original)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 300 (or I did 290 because sometimes I think my oven is hot and I haven't calibrated it yet)


2. Remove the tough membrane on the bone side of the ribs. I never knew about this until I saw it on the Food Network, and ever since then, I've only had the most tender ribs. I had some trouble getting it off the second rack but you can see in the picture that it should peel right off easily (as gross as it may look!)
3. Apply the rub all over the ribs on both sides, using your hands. Don't be shy!


4. I've done this two ways, both work fine: Either cut your racks into 4 individual small racks and double-layer wrap in foil to seal in juices (crimp upward), or just lay two pieces of foil down, lay down the two full racks, and lay two more pieces of foil and crimp the edges upward to seal in the juices. Note: Always use the foil shiney side out.

5. Lay the rib package(s) on a baking sheet meat side down and bake for 2.5 hours and fill your house with tasty rib goodness aromas - you should see the meat shrinking away from the bone, and then you know it's done!


6. Let ribs sit 10 minutes and preheat your grill to high. Grill for 4 or 5 minutes on each side of the ribs, brushing on your favorite BBQ sauce for the last minute or two (so it won't burn). Enjoy!!


This would be easy to do for a sugar-free method because you can leave out the brown sugar, I think, and just stick with the other rub ingredients. I think the key comes from sealing the packages and baking at a low heat for a long time. Try it for a no-fail, easy rib recipe! These ribs will be super tender and falling off the bone and will be sure to wow your summer BBQ guests.

Comments

  1. me and my husband have tried for years to find a good rib recipe. very time we cooked them on the grill the ribs would be so tough. If we tried to boil the ribs for a few hours and then put them on the grill they would be tender but no taste.this recipe was the one we were looking for. The ribs were perfect!! tender, juicy and falling off the bone. Thank you so much, we now can enjoy ribs at home!!
    Jean M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been having a really hard time with cooking ribs and having them come out very chewy and dry until I tried your recipe. It was great, the ribs were so tender I could literally pull the bones off the meat. Thank you for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mad those ribs for my sons Birthday, and they were the best ribs I have ever made. Thank you we will be using only this recepie from now on for your bbq ribs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so glad that this recipe has worked for you! i have had so many tough and chewy ribs before finding this recipe and i am really happy to share it with everyone. we have since bought a smoker but i would still make them this way in a heartbeat if we weren't smoking them. totally delicious and juicy and tender. enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Mahalo,

    for posting this recipe... These were the best ribs I ever made. Just an additional tip. If you want to make some really great BBQ sauce for brushing on the ribs while on the grill. Just add a little marshmallow to your favorite sauce.

    Nui ono!

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious- perfect every time. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried this with Splenda brown sugar and it comes out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found this recipe. Sounds great. How did you cook them on the smoker?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I've had a fanstatic cookout. The ribs were so tender and tasty. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, having never done ribs before, this is a no fail recipe! There was not one left over! Thanks so much for the advice etc. I know we will be doing ribs for many more summer barbies

    ReplyDelete
  11. is the secret the 1/4 tsp of ground gloves?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I don't think the secret is the cloves, that just adds a subtle interesting background flavor, but the trick is truly the cooking method which ensures tender ribs every time. Feel free to try different flavors/rubs/spices that sound good to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made these ribs and they are delicious! I made the comment because your recipe calls for ground "gloves" ;-)

      Delete
    2. haha I totally missed that it was gloves and that you said gloves above - that is too funny. Thanks for letting me know - I have updated the recipe to say "cloves" ... gloves might add some flavor, perhaps leather vs knit gloves would add some variety also.. haha. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Made these tonight for my daughter's birthday. WOW! They were fantastic. My favorite sauce is also Sweet Baby Rays. Thanks for this great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what is the approximate time for baking at the oven temp listed for this recipe? With my normal recipe I usually bake @ 250 for about 2 hours after I throw them on the grill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha nevermind must have missed that part :)

      Delete
  15. my GOD this recipe is simply amazing, its my fetish recipe for ribs now, more tender than chicken, i used cayen pepper instead of chili powder, it hads a little extra spicy kick and it taste awesome, thanks for the recipe, definitly a 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe sounds amazing...i don't have a grill so I'm planning on using my broiler, cooking them as i write this, I'll post my results!!

    Thanks in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You'll have to let me know how it turns out.. I could go for some ribs right now, all we had were leftovers tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures