Cookies for a Cause: Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies



We're back with more cookies for charity! For September 11th, I chose the recipe "Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies" from Martha Stewart's "Cookies" cookbook as the cookies I brought in to raise funds for charity from my coworkers. In honor of the heroes of September 11th, I chose the charity of Tuesday's Children, an organization providing services and programs to the families of 9/11 victims. 

Also, I am happy to report that these little sweet cookies raised our highest donation amount yet! For my double batch, I collected $35.42 for Tuesday's Children, which puts our grand total raised at $241.32! As I've said before, 100% of donations for the cookies go directly to the charity of my choice. My donation is the batch of cookies and I'm very excited about the wonderful progress my coworkers and I have made in just a few months! I now have a "Cookie Following" and people stop by throughout the week in attempt to snatch a cookie early or see what I'll be baking for Friday. And heaven forbid I am busy on a Thursday night, as I found bakery-made donuts were "no replacement for homebaked cookies!" While the expectations are high, thanks to Martha Stewart's delicious recipes, I am very excited to be trying a new recipe every week!

As always, I'll keep baking if you keep donating! So far so good! One of my coworkers, Marco, said these banana cookies were the best cookie he's ever had and he has begged me about baking another batch ever since I brought these in. He even called his wife and tried to make me tell her how to make them, so I just forwarded them Martha's link! Anyway, they are quite delicious. I thought "banana bread meets chocolate chip cookie" sounded strange but they are totally yummy and you will love them. Give this recipe a try for something different and delicious. Enjoy!

Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
From the Martha Stewart Cookie book and her website


Ingredients


Makes about 3 dozen

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup whole-wheat flour

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar

1 large egg

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large)

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped into 1/4-inch chunks

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (about 2 ounces), toasted

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together flours, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside. Put butter and sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add egg and vanilla; mix until combined. Mix in banana. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in oats, chocolate chunks, and walnuts.

Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown and just set, 12 to 13 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers up to 2 days.

Comments

My Cake Decorating Gallery

Cake Decorating Adventures